We bring together a diverse community, building a network of individuals and organisations, founded on key principles.
The Open Knowledge Foundation is trusted, non-partisan, pioneering and passionate.
We create change by educating, empowering, evangelising and making.
The School of Data teaches journalists, CSOs and others how to use data to pursue their mission.
OKFestival is the biggest open knowledge event in the world.
The Public Domain Review showcases the most interesting public domain works on the web.
CKAN is the world’s leading open-source data portal platform.
Open Spending maps the world’s public spending.
Crowdcrafting lets you start a crowdsourcing project to get help with small tasks for good causes.
The Data Journalism Handbook shows how journalists can use data to improve the news.
OpenGLAM encourages galleries, libraries, archives and museums to open up their content and data.
- Tomorrow morning will see the release of a major new review on how to make the most out the UK’s Public Sector Information authored by Stephan Shakespeare, founder of opinion polls company YouGov. Given our role in advocating open data in the UK for many years, we’re very keen to see what Shakespeare says. Here [...]
- What. Volunteering at OKCon 2013 When & where. 16th-18th September 2013, Geneva, Switzerland. How. Find the call and the submission form here Deadline. The deadline to submit your application is May 26th, 23:59:59 GMT. Are you a team player passionate about the power of open knowledge? Are you ready to make OKCon 2013 a unique [...]
- Last week the average concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere reached 400 parts per million, a level which is said to be unprecedented in human history. Leading scientists and policy makers say that we should be aiming for no more than 350 parts per million to avoid catastrophic runaway climate change. But what’s in [...]
- For your delectation, we bring you the third installment of Global Community Stories – a round up of the fantastic projects and activities of our Local Groups across the world, including a Wikipedia Editathon for girls in Nepal, a multitude of events in Belgium, Big Data Week across Spain, a Swiss Government pilot [...]
- CKAN is a powerful, open source, open data management platform, used by governments and organizations around the world to make large collections of data accessible, including the UK and US government open data portals. Today we are very happy and excited to announce the final release of CKAN 2.0. This is the most significant piece [...]
- There was big news for open data yesterday with a new Executive Order announced by President Obama. The order lays out the general principles that open, machine readable, data are the “new default”. (We note the Open Definition already includes machine readability in the definition of open data). There will a new Open Data Policy [...]
- Earlier this year, as part of the DM2E project, we put out a call to humanities academics and technologists to see if they could come up with innovative ideas for small technology projects that would further humanities research by using open content, open data and/or open source. We’re very pleased to announce that the winners [...]
- Here at the Open Knowledge Foundation, we know Open Science is tough, but ultimately rewarding. It requires courage & leadership to take the open path in science. Nearly a week ago on the open-science mailing list we started putting together a list of established scientists who have in some way or another made significant contributions [...]
- Heard of Big Data? How about #smalldata? There’s been loads of buzz this month around #smalldata, and the need to prevent the centralisation of data-power in the hands of the few. Redistributing knowledge power is what we’re all about at the Open Knowledge Foundation, and this month’s launch of data.okfn.org is doing just that – [...]
- Event. OKCon 2013 – 17th-18th September 2013, Geneva, Switzerland. Call for Proposals. Find the call, FAQs and the submission form on the OKCon 2013 Call for Proposal webpage. Deadline. The deadline to submit your proposals is May 24th, 23:59:59 GMT. Results will be published by 17th June, 23:59:59 GMT. Tickets. Early Bird tickets are on [...]